Saturday 1 February 2014

ROGUE TROOPER: I AM BUT MAD NORTH-NORTH-WEST.


Script: Dan Hill Art: David Broughton Letters: Bolt-01.



Bolt-01 editor of 2000ad fanzines Zarjaz and Dogbreath contacted me on 5th March 2013 with a Rogue Trooper script by writer Dan Hill for the new 2000ad Fanzine “Drokk”.   I jumped at the chance to draw Rogue.  Anyway here
are the rough page layouts, rough designs and some finished page pencils with a few insights thrown in for good measure.





 















Above: After reading Dan Hills script I scribbled down a few tiny thumbnail sketches of each page which can be seen on the left. Then as can be seen on the right with page 1. I poduced larger more detailed layouts for each page.




 
















Above: Rough page layouts for pages 2 and 3. Note that I include all the word balloons and boxes to make sure that there is enough room for lettering.





















Above: Rough page layouts for pages 4 and 5. Even though small press deadlines tend to be much longer than professional deadlines. I always produce rough page layouts quickly so that I can spend more time on the finished artwork.  





















Above:  A few rough designs for characters in the story. For reference I have copies of the Rogue Trooper ‘Tales of the New Earth’ collected stories.


 







































  
Above: Finished pencils for page 1.









































  
Above: Finished pencils for page 4. 

  




















Above: Rogue Trooper: I am but mad North-North-West can be read by buying ‘Drokk’ with its wonderful David Frankum cover via this link to the ‘Future Quake’ webstore here...

A review of all the great comic strips in this fanzine has been posted on the ever brilliant ‘Everything comes back to 2000ad’ website here...


and the Forbidden Planet blog here...
http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2013/new-from-zarjaz-drokk/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment